Thursday, November 8, 2007

Very Frustrating Week-But there is a silver lining!

It all started out on Monday morning when I had to wake up and get dressed to workout at 5AM! Why you may ask...well because I had to be at work by 8am and wouldn't get done until 11pm that night. My workout went well. In fact better than I had thought. But the next 3 days, not so well. Monday-Wednesday I worked from 8am-11pm. My goal was to workout every morning before work but after running around the hospital for 15 hours, a girl gets tired. So I decided to take off Tuesday and Wednesday. I hated it believe me but it was my decision and no one forced my to hit snooze. Then today I worked from 8am-12 noon. Not bad until I worked out. How can I put it...MY WORKOUT SUCKED!!!!!!! Music was great, actually had energy, but I was doing my Max VO2 and my calluses started ripping. So I only got in 10 sets. My plan was at least 20 maybe more. Being so frustrated I went over, grabbed a 24kg and started doing 2-handed swings 15sec on/15 off 10 sets to make up for the snatches I couldn't do.

After all of this, what is the silver lining you may ask? Well, after I finished my 10 sets of 2-handed swings, did some stretching and mobility, I realized this week isn't so bad. I learned 2.5 years ago, after losing my dad, there are more important things to worry about. More important issues to attend to first. These past couple of days I saw two different families lose a loved one and it broke my heart. After working in a hospital for awhile you get good at pushing emotions down because it is your job, but I couldn't this week. So yes I am upset I missed my two workouts (my fault) and yes very frustrating when a workout doesn't go well (happens to everyone) but I woke up today with my husband taking up 1/2 of the bed and my dog Riley taking up the other half...

As Tracy Rif would say (if I may quote) "Today is a good day"

Sorry if I got a little deep, but I want everyone to realize that through training everyone is going to fall or hit a bump in the road, but it is not the end of the road.

4 Comments:

BJ Bliffert said...

Just for the record, the dog takes 75% of the bed. It's not me!

Mark Reifkind said...

kori,
don't sweat it. with an 8am-11pm shift you really can't expect much.most would do nothing and feel justified!trying to push too hard when fatigued either mentally and or physically can really cause problems so be careful on those days.rest is good too; that's when you actually get stronger.

take care

rif

Mark Reifkind said...

and of course the emotional trauma,well, what can you say?

Kori Bliffert, NASM-CPT said...

Rif,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I was having a bit of a pity-party that day from my hard week. All is good now though!