Friday, July 27, 2007

My Messed Up Week

I like my days and weeks to have some similarity when it comes to my schedule and workouts. This week was far from that! Along with being a Fitness Coach, I am also a Respiratory Therapist and work at Froedtert Hospital in Milwaukee. I do not have a set schedule because I am what they call "Pool". Pool means I work when I want to or when they need me. Some days I work day shift, some days I work PM shift (12:30pm to 11pm) and this week I have 2 days in which I am working night shift (10pm to 8am the next morning). This has messed me up big time! Not only has it messed up my sleeping pattern, but my eating pattern and my workout regimen. I have tried to do the best I can with my workouts and keep them as I normally would. This is what my past week has looked like...

Monday: Even though I had just finished a big weekend of bike riding, I didn't cut back on my workout today.
Strength:
Deadlift--got up to 141 for 5 sets of 3 reps
Kettlebell Press ladder--got up to a ladder of 4 with the 12kg
Snatches w/ 12kg--5 sets to almost max (had 1-2 left in me on each side)
Swing workout w/ 16kg--10 swings on the top of every min for 20 min

Tuesday: Kettlebell class taught by BJ
Lots of swings, presses, and cleans---LOVE IT! Did it all with the 16kg

Wednesday:
Front squats--started w/ 65lbs, 75lbs, 95lbs x 3 reps then did 1 rep of 105 lbs
Triple extension with 45 lb bar 5x5
Swing workout w/ 16kg--10 swings on the top of every min for 10 min
***Not as long of a workout today but very intense. BJ acutally put me through the workout and I loved it. He doesn't let me slack and lets me know when I am starting to!

Thursday: Kettlebell Class taught by BJ
Long circuit of swings, body weight calisthetics and active rest
Came home and walked on the treadmill for 30 min while I watched "The Office". LOVE THAT SHOW!

Friday: AM: 45min on elipitcal
PM: 45 min of Swinging w/ 12kg 1 min on/1min off
**I work the night shift again tonight, so I am getting in what I can.

All in all it has not been a bad week for my hours to be so messed up. My food has been doing well. After my HUGE carb up this past weekend, my body has adjusted to my high fat, high protein, low carb eating. This weekend again will be a high carb weekend. The scale has gone up 3 pounds, but the mirror shows something TOTALLY different. I am getting pretty lean and definition is really showing, so I don't know what to think. I really would like to see the scale go down. But again, with my messed up hours things hopefully will be different next week.

Till next time.!

3 Comments:

BJ Bliffert said...

for those wondering, she meant Barbell Snatch pull off of blocks when she wrote triple extension. The triple extension was what she was learning to do, now we just need to add load!!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Bottom line, if you want that scale to go down, cut your calories. How bad do you want it??? (here's the challenge)

Cutting down slightly (25%) will absolutely start taking that scale number down. Try it for 4 days.

If you are satisfied with your food choices, either skip one meal(300-450 cal.) by stretching out the timing of meals, so have 3 meals instead of 4, or just cut your portions.

You should be able to keep any muscle gained and continue to lean out, I promise. Let me know how it goes.

Kori Bliffert, NASM-CPT said...

Tracy, great minds think alike! This week I was planning on lowering my calories by just enough to hopefully see a difference. Thanks for the encouragement!